perjantai 31. joulukuuta 2010

2011 Anticipations Vol. 1

Most media like to look back on past highlights today, so I thought I'd look forward into the New Year. 

I haven't got much time on my hands on this last day of 2010, so I'll make it short and concentrate  mostly on the immediate future.

I think I will kick off my 2011 with a small gallery tour on Sunday the 2nd. I want to see at least Ilari Hautamäki's solo exhibition Planet Paint in the gallery of the Finnish Academy of Fine Arts (Kasarmikatu 44), as well as Eija-Liisa Ahtila's new work, the three-channeled installation Marian ilmestys, in gallery Heino. If I have time, I'll try to visit Markus Kåhre's exhibition Pidot in Sculptor. Unless it's already been taken down? Check this at the Sculptor website...yes, Sunday is the last day of the show! Definitely worth visiting, I believe.

Eija-Liisa Ahtila is one of our most renowned artists working with moving image. You should not miss her previous work, Where is where?, either. It will be shown as part of Kiasma's ARS11 in the new exhibition space in Turku, European Capital of Culture from January 16th. Another plan for 2011 is obviously to travel there and see Where is where? again, together with a work from another wonderful artist, Isaac Julien, plus all the other cultural goods that the city will supposedly lay before us.

Once Turku has inspired us to cultural travels, the next destination is naturally Tallinn, also a European Capital of Culture 2011. Comparing websites, I have to hand it to Turku, but as far as actual content goes I have not had a deep enough look yet. I will probably come back to these as the year rolls ahead.

Returning to Helsinki and the more easily reached experiences, I am looking forward to seeing Sofia Coppola's new film Somewhere, even if I've heard the theme of hotel life in a foreign country is growing old with this movie and might pale in comparison to the pretty unforgettable thing Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson got going in Lost in Translation... Still, I think I will prefer this flick over Rare Exports Inc. when next contemplating going to the movies, since I did not have the time to see the latter before Christmas - seems a little less necessary after the holidays, doesn't it?

My time is running out - it already ran out 15 minutes ago; I am forced to call this text vol. 1 and come back to the topic once the year has changed. Staying true to the looking-into-the-future theme, I'll end this with the poster from Somewhere and a few vague thoughts about the summer...

H A P P Y  N E W  Y E A R !  M A K E  I T  A  G O O D  O N E !


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

 

hit statistics
Best DSL Providers